Foundational ministry leadership skills travel well across a variety of roles and contexts. At the same time, different ministry roles and environments have unique dynamics. When applied in context with specialized skills, one’s ministry toolbox takes on an additional value dynamic. This program is designed to develop both a foundational ministry leadership toolbox and specific skills for strong application in one of four unique types of ministry context.
The purpose of this program is to survey foundational skills for leveraging God’s Word in life and ministry, then add ministry leadership foundations and discipline-specific ministry application skills in Youth Ministry, Urban Ministry, Family Ministry, Intercultural Ministry or Camp Ministry. The applied ministry concentration a student selects will be named on the certificate.
The vision that drives this program is to strategically develop a strong ministry leadership toolbox specifically applied to a context in Camp Ministry, Missions, Urban Ministry or Youth Ministry.
Upon completion of the Certificate in Applied Ministry, students will engage and leverage foundational Bible study and application skills as demonstrated by the following competencies:
- Apply foundational Bible study skills to the examination of the Word resulting in a clear understanding of what the text says, what it means, and its implications for life.
- Develop a philosophy and strategy of godly living that will guide the student for a lifetime.
- Develop personal disciplines and rhythms for thriving and holistic spiritual formation.
- Teach the Word of God to others with confidence, creativity, and impact.
- Actively shepherd individuals toward God and mobilize them on mission.
- Develop ministry programming that delivers on an organization’s Gospel-driven mission.
- Nurture a thriving ministry team environment, as a teammate and as a leader.
- Strategically leverage a breadth of mission-driven leadership skills in a targeted ministry environment.
Certificate Courses (30 credits)
The Certificate in Applied Ministry program is built with a logical sequence of skill development designed to lay essential foundations for any faith-driven discipline.
Bible & Theology (6 credits)
- BIB100 Principles of Bible Study. An introduction to methods and tools for inductive study of biblical texts, through observation, interpretation, application, and implementation.
- THE120 Foundations for Christian Living. Develop a philosophy and strategy of godly living as a guide for a lifetime, including a Biblical worldview, ethics and patterns of behavior, Bible study, prayer, and making Biblically-informed choices.
Ministry Leadership Foundations (6 credits)
- MIN311 Personal Life of the Ministry Leader. Explore the core values that drive the healthy personal life that is foundational for effective ministry leadership.
- MIN320 Effective Bible Teaching. Study the methods and skills of teaching and learning as applied to Bible teaching.
Professional Ministry Core (9 credits)
- MIN401 Dynamics of Discipleship. The core of ministry leadership is shepherding individuals toward God, helping them grow in their faith, and mobilizing them as productive parts of the body of Christ.
- MIN403 Principles of Ministry Strategy. An in to practical competencies and skills for the effective development and use of a wide range of programming as tools for accomplishing biblical ministry objectives.
- MIN404 Developing Dynamic Teams. Apply group and team theory for recruiting, developing, mobilizing, and mending teams of employees and volunteers for maximum effectiveness.
Applied Ministry Concentration (9 credits)
- Camp Ministry. Select three (3) courses from the Camp Ministry category in the catalog.
- Intercultural Ministry. Select three (3) courses from the Intercultural Ministry category in the catalog.
- Urban Ministry. Select three (3) courses from the Urban Ministry category in the catalog.
- Youth Ministry. Select three (3) courses from the Youth Ministry category in the catalog.